The church had its beginnings back in 1885 when the Chinese Mission School of San Diego was created to meet the needs of Chinese immigrants. In 1948, the Mission became an independent church. As more and more people immigrated to San Diego, the need for bigger and better facilities to serve a new generation became apparent.
In 1960, the Church relocated from downtown San Diego to a seven acre site on 47th Street that included a large sanctuary, community hall, kitchen, and classrooms.
On October 15, 2006, the church moved to its new campus in Tierrasanta. Our new 6,961 square feet sanctuary seats 325 people, and our 18,000 square foot Fellowship Hall seats about 400.
In November 2010, the Chinese Community Church celebrated its 125th Anniversary, having been a mission church for sixty-three years, and an independent church for sixty-two years.
The Chinese Community Church continues to provide a warm setting for worship and fellowship not only for the historic Chinese community in San Diego but also for its current congregation, a diverse gathering of people from many nations. All services are conducted in English.